The JPO implemented a pilot program for Green Accelerated Examination effective November 1, 2009.
Considering the necessity for accelerated research and development in “Green Technology“ to prevent global warming, the JPO commenced implementation of a pilot program for accelerated Examination of “Green Related Applications.” The program became effective November 1, 2009 to help provide earlier protection for the results of research and development in “Green Technology.“
“Green Related Applications” means applications that relate to green inventions, i.e., inventions that promote energy conservation, reduce carbon dioxide emissions reductions, and so on.
If an application meets one of the following conditions, it is possible to file an accelerated examination:
- An application filed in a foreign country (any county outside of Japan);
- The applicant is a small or medium sized enterprise or an individual;
- A licensee of the application is using or selling the invention in Japan or plans to use or sell the invention within two years from the date of filing a request for accelerated examination; or
- The application relates to Green Technology.
For appeal cases, the following condition is also applicable for accelerated examination in addition to the above:
- An application where a third party is using or selling the invention, and which is after the application was laid open to the public, and before the results of the appeal have issued.