The JPO implemented a pilot program for “Super Accelerated Examination” on October 1, 2008.
As of October 1, 2008, the JPO implemented a pilot program for “Super Accelerated Examination” to reduce the time from filing a request for examination to receiving the results of the examination to less than one month, which was 2.2 months on average under the current accelerated examination system.
In this pilot program, after receiving the results from the JPO, a foreign applicant must file a response to the official action within two months, which is shortened from three months. The JPO will thereafter issue the results within less than one month. Under the current accelerated examination, it takes 5.9 months on average from filing a request for accelerated examination to receiving the final results.
To file for Super Accelerated Examination, it is necessary to meet the following requirements:
- The application must NOT be a national phase entry of a PCT application;
- The application must be related to an invention that is presently being practiced or planned to practice within two years from the date of filing a request for Super Accelerated Examination;
- A corresponding application has been filed with at least one non-Japanese IP office;
- A Request for Examination has been filed, but for which the JPO examiner has not yet commenced examination; and
- All procedures after filing for Super Accelerated Examination must be filed online.
The Super Accelerated Examination does not limit applications to specific technology areas as in the current accelerated examination system.